Blog circle time!!!! It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that this month’s blog is centered around gratitude. If you are a regular on Facebook, no doubt you’ve seen friends posting something they are grateful for each day of November. After all, here in the United States, today is our Thanksgiving… the day where we remember what we are thankful & grateful for in our lives. A day to gather with family & friends to celebrate, enjoy and EAT way too much food for our own good!!
I used to keep a nightly gratitude journal, where each night I wrote 5 things I was particularly grateful for that day. The written practice eventually faded, but the verbal exchange of thankfulness is still intact. In planning for this blog, I chose not to focus on the big thank you’s – ya know, “my family, my friends, our health, our good fortune, our lives, the sun, food” etcetera, etcetera. Instead, I am going to show you what I am grateful for within the past 48 hours…
1) Road trips with the family!! We embarked on an overnight driving adventure to celebrate Thanksgiving with my side of the family. We drove from Minnesota to Indianapolis, IN. Normally we don’t travel anymore for holidays, but with my store opening in 1 week (holy cow!) and the rare occasion that all my siblings were available to meet up, I felt the decision was an obvious one.
2) Headphones! We have a tv in the party van (aka Big Red) to make road trips much more sane for us parents. Notice that each child is wearing a set of headphones. These are so THEY can hear the show, and WE cannot. It’s brilliant!!!!!!!!! I am so grateful for those dang headphones.
3) My man making it through the night and driving 8 1/2 out of the 10 hours it took to arrive in Indy. I was able to get enough sleep most of the way in order to pick up the last shift. This allowed me to see the beautiful sunrise. I am rarely out and about when the sun rises, so I was particularly happy to see such a pretty sight while I drove.
4) My little girl and I getting our baby fix! Be careful about bringing your babies around me… I am a smooching machine.
5) Meeting my 4th cousin for the very first time!! He and his wife have been researching his family’s genealogy, and they managed to meet my dad a little while back. They happened to be passing through on their way to Chicago, and my older brother and I got to meet him. So neat!!! We shared the same great, great grandfather (I think…).
6) Being able to celebrate Hanukkah with my dad! So neat that it fell around Thanksgiving this year. It is a childhood tradition that I have continued with my children, and they really look forward to it!
7) My parents agreeing to let the kids stay with them while my man and I got our own hotel room. Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8) Ok, this is kind of embarrassing, but I do not like sleeping in hotel rooms. Something about the sheets just creep me out. Since we drove, I was able to plan ahead… I brought my own sheets and comforter!
(Yes, we have separate sheets. Don’t judge! 🙂 There were one too many fights about stealing covers from the other person, so we decided to still love each other, but separate our sheets. It’s ok… our sheets still have an amicable relationship even though they are separated. In fact, they are even better bed sheets now that they are not together any more).
So that’s a snippet of my gratitude filled world. Let’s see what Amy Riddle has in store for us!!!